[Beowulf] Can one Infiniband net support MPI and a parallel filesystem?

Paul Jackson pj at sgi.com
Wed Aug 13 23:45:28 PDT 2008

Chris wrote:
> The 2.6 cpuset support in Torque came out of a long

Would you have any pointers to some more details of what you've
done here?  I'm the maintainer, and one of the authors, of Linux 2.6
cpusets, and would like to do what I can with cpusets to make life
easier (or at least no more painful) for cluster and MPI folks.

My background comes more from the "big honkin NUMA iron" running
a Single System Image on 100's or 1000's of CPUs (SGI Irix/Origin and
later Linux/Altix), which was the "country of origin" for cpusets, so
my interest (and ignorance) in asking this question is more to gain an
understanding of how cpusets have been adapted to clusters, as I
understand less well the needs of clusters, and what if anything
cpusets might do here to be of more use.

Totally totally trivial nit -- you wrote:
> mkdir /dev/cpuset
> mount -t cpuset none /dev/cpuset

I prefer in my setups to have that mount command be:

  mount -t cpuset cpuset /dev/cpuset

so that the mount shows up in the output of the mount(8) command
with 'cpuset' in the mount 'device' field, not 'none'.

--
                  I won't rest till it's the best ...
                  Programmer, Linux Scalability