[Beowulf] Can one Infiniband net support MPI and a parallel filesystem?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Aug 13 04:27:11 PDT 2008

Craig Tierney wrote:
> Chris Samuel wrote:

>>> I tend to agree with this.
>>
>> But that assumes you're not sharing a node with other
>> jobs that may well be doing I/O.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Chris
>
> I am wondering, who shares nodes in cluster systems with
> MPI codes?  We never have shared nodes for codes that need

The vast majority of our customers/users do.  Limited resources, they
have to balance performance against cost and opportunity cost.

Sadly not every user has an infinite budget to invest in contention free
hardware (nodes, fabrics, or disks).  So they have to maximize the
utilization of what they have, while (hopefully) not trashing the
efficiency too badly.

> multiple cores since be built our first SMP cluster
> in 2001.  The contention for shared resources (like memory
> bandwidth and disk IO) would lead to unpredictable code performance.

Yes it does.  As does OS jitter and other issues.

> Also, a poorly behaved program can cause the other codes on
> that node to crash (which we don't want).

Yes this happens as well, but some users simply have no choice.

> Even at TACC (62000+ cores) with 16 cores per node, nodes
> are dedicated to jobs.

I think every user would love to run on a TACC like system.  I think
most users have a budget for something less than 1/100th the size.   Its
easy to forget how much resource (un)availability constrains actions
when you have very large resources to work with.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO