[Beowulf] Re: Kerberos + HPC

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Aug 12 09:37:21 PDT 2008

Dave Love <d.love at liverpool.ac.uk> writes:
> "Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com> writes:
>
>> Standard documentation can tell you how to do
>> it -- just read the manuals.
>
> I don't know what the `standard documentation' means, but you won't find
> a recipe in the MIT or Heimdal manuals.

I'm not sure about a recipe, but the the "kinit" man page trivially
explains how to get a password from a stashed location, and also
explains how to specifies how to set the lifetime of the requested
ticket.

So, you just run kinit in cron as the specified daemon user with the
appropriate flags and it will renew its own tickets and all is well.

I'm not sure why people think this is all so mysterious. Can you
explain what is hard about this?

> The canonical tool for daemonic use is
> <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/kstart/>, but it's probably
> not so useful for jobs in a batch system.

Why bother when kinit will do the job? That's what it is for.

Perry