[Beowulf] Weird CentOS Install Problem

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 8 19:57:07 PDT 2008

Matt Lawrence wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Jon Forrest wrote:
>
>> What's weird about this is that the root file system starts
>> on cylinder 1, as confirmed by the fdisk command. This is
>> using a brand new SuperMicro X7SBE motherboard with the
>> newest BIOS.
>
> I suggest you create a /boot partition of about 200MB.

On Monday I'm going to try various combinations of file systems
and partition sizes. The first one I'm going to try will
be the default CentOS arrangement.

This is a really strange problem to me. I'm guessing
the problem is in the 3ware BIOS. After all, tons
of people use 80GB drives (and larger) with no problems.
The fact that an 80GB device carved by the 3ware BIOS/firmware
doesn't work makes me suspect the 3ware device.

I'm also going to call 3ware.

Jon