[Beowulf] OpenMP vs. MPI benchmark for multi-core machines?

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Thu Apr 17 13:21:51 PDT 2008

you may want to look at this:

(registration required)

NAS parallel OpenMP vs NAS Parallel MPI on
clovertown node (dual socket, 8 cores total).
As Greg said, the programs are different
but, I suppose it is better than nothing.
I should mention that such comparisons are hard
because a good shared memory version of an
algorithm and an MPI version of the same problem
are usually very different. If you can find a copy,
Pfister's "In Search of Clusters" devotes a
whole chapter to this topic (in detail).