[Beowulf] Big storage

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Apr 16 06:50:14 PDT 2008

On 16 Apr 2008, at 7:40 am, Chris Samuel wrote:

> ----- "Greg Lindahl" <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:
>
>> And, finally, this one makes you wonder how Linux storage works at
>> all:
>>
>> http://www.usenix.org/event/fast08/tech/full_papers/gunawi/gunawi.pdf
>
> Wow!
>
> It'd be interesting to see a recent follow up analysing
> how many issues have been fixed in the 2+ years since that
> rather elderly kernel (2.6.15.4 = 10th Feb 2006).

Given that they state in that paper that they performed the same
analysis on a 2.4 kernel and the proportion of these errors was about
the same, I would be willing to bet the answer to that question is
"Not many, and there are probably plenty of new ones to counteract
those which *have* been fixed"

Tim