[Beowulf] Configuring mpich in a Pentium Dual Core

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Fri Apr 4 10:21:05 PDT 2008

> Thanks, there is nothing wrong with the way I configured rite, i would just

sure, what you've done will be work fine.

> a) How do I know that I am using both the processors in the dual core
> machine, say when I run a pmandel program

well, you can just run a program like top, which will show information
about CPU usage.  I often use "vmstat 1" to monitor systems.  ultimately
both utilities get their info from pseudofiles in /proc.  for instance,
"cat /proc/loadavg" shows just scheduler information (1m, 5m, 15m
loadaverages, along with runnable and total process counts and most
recent pid.)

for a dual-core, you are aiming to see a load >= 2.  some of these utilities
normalize the loadaverage, though, so vmstat shows %utilization, rather than
loadaverage (so 100% is a loadaverage of 2 on a dual-cpu machine.)