[Beowulf] SMPs + One processor machines = Heterogeneous Cluster

Cally K kalpana0611 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 06:35:34 PDT 2008

Hi guys,

Thanks for the previous answers to my question, did not expect that kinda
flow of information and it proved to be helpful in my research. I have a
different question and I hope I can get some nice feedback.

I am dealing with heterogeneous cluster in my research. I am a novice when
it comes to networking, and have only been around with cluster for about a
year. Anyway, from my previous question, and after doing some reading, can I
say that dual cores and quad cores are known as SMPs.?

And would 1 say that, a cluster that has machines with 1 processor ( etc.
Pentium 4 )and 2 SMPS( it can be quad or dual ) but all belonging to one
family ( intel for example ) -- can I say that the cluster is a
heterogeneous cluster.