[Beowulf] "Code" vs. "Codes"

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Apr 1 05:40:35 PDT 2008

Jon Forrest wrote:
> I appreciate everyone's comments so far, but please
> keep in mind that I only meant to comment on the
> use of "codes" (plural). The use of "code" in place
> of "program" feels normal.
>
> I still suspect that somewhere this started with
> a non-native speaker of English. The same thing
> has happened recently with "e-mail", which didn't
> used to exist in common usage in plural form.
> Now you see "e-mails" used by all kinds of people.

I started hearing 'codes' when I became more active in the modeling
community.  I've heard the term 'code' as synonymous to 'program' since,
well, I started learning to 'code' in about 1966 or 1967 (yes, in IBM
FORTRAN; I'm that old).  When I wrote my first weather model, there was
no one to chat about it with save other students, and they weren't a
lively bunch.  When I wrote another model, for a specific application,
however, I began talking to some folks at Rice University about CFD and
they referred to different 'codes' as differentiation among both various
programs, and physics approaches.

In the weather community I've heard the term used to describe that there
are several physics approaches to solution of the various problems.  And
its use seems to make perfect sense in that context.  We've also used it
  to describe differing approaches (eg., explicit vs. implicit; finite
element vs difference, etc).

I suspect some folks aren't as precise (I've been known to be sloppy in
speach) as some of the folks I've been around, in regard to this.

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983