[Beowulf] Diskless booting help:

Bertrand Russell betrussell23 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 06:04:19 PDT 2007

Dear Beowulf members,

I am trying to cluster up 4PCs of SUN hardware (Opteron processor) running
on CentOS-5. I am trying to  do diskless booting. I have configured one
machine as the Head node (with OS and  other programs) with DHCP and  its
running TFTP-server.  I don't have EPROM writer and  planned to use ISOLINUX
CD-ROM boot.  I have made the  bootable CD-ROM with the following files,

 boot.cat, initrd.img, vmlinuz (from CD#1 fo CentOS-5),
isolinux.bin(syslinux directory-downloaded form its official site),
pxelinux.cfg (copied from centos wiki).

But when I boot the client I am getting the following error message,

"kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block

I could able to guess, this is due to the kernel could not able to mount the
root file system which is not in the CD-ROM. But I want the root file system
along with other directories to be mounted form the head node. Could anyone
guide me to solve this?

Miles to go......... Millions to meet...........
Bertrand. P. S. Russell
+91 - 98943 98441