[Beowulf] Old versions of Linux

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Sun Oct 28 16:40:38 PDT 2007

Sandip Dev wrote:
> I am totally new to clustering. It seems most clustering software like
> OpenMosix need 2.4 kernel to work. Where can I get a older 2.4 kernel
> based Linux? Any ideas. Also does MPICH and OpenMPI require 2.4 kernel
> to run or do they run on 2.4? Also do these support 64 bit processors

Hello, Sandip.

I ported openMosix to Ubuntu and I use it on our Beowulf cluster. You
can download my linux-2.4.26-om1 kernel debs for Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS:

	http://bioinformatics.rri.sari.ac.uk/openmosix/

Many people now say openMosix is dead, but that is not true. As long as
there are people who use it and are bothered about supporting it then
openMosix is still alive. Most of the criticism I've seen of openMosix
on this list is from people who have never used it. I've used it a lot,
and I find it a good solution for many of the 'embarrasingly' parallel
problems I encounter in bioinformatics. We also run MPI under openMosix
without any problems, and openMosix can load-balance the MPI processes.

There is no stable 64-bit support for openMosix, but the type of work
openMosix is best suited to would not necessarily benefit from 64-bit.

Best wishes,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687