[Beowulf] impressions of Super Micro IPMI management cards?

Roberto Ammendola roberto.ammendola at roma2.infn.it
Tue Oct 23 03:53:49 PDT 2007

Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience/impressions of the "Supermicro
> Intelligent Management" stuff?

I'm using them on a 128 nodes cluster. The impression is quite good, I
generally need poweron/reset commands, bios access, console access. They
do what they are built for. I actually had problems installing the
supermicro deamon on the x86_64 arch for gently shutdown, but then I
discovered that I don't need that deamon (if the machine is not crashed
you just rsh...). The only real problem I have is that after shutting
down the whole machines, sometimes the power up command doesn't work, so
I have to get my hands dirty and press the buttons. But it's a 2005
machine, and nevver updated the bios, so maybe they fixed these bugs.

greetings
roberto