[Beowulf] impressions of Super Micro IPMI management cards?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Oct 22 08:29:03 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 09:31 -0400, Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> My needs are pretty minimal -- remote power control. BIOS access and
> the ability to trigger a PXE boot off the network. Anything else is
> just supplemental.
>
> Does anyone have any experience/impressions of the "Supermicro
> Intelligent Management" stuff?

Chris, I use Supermicro IPMI all the time.
Working with it today, actually.
They can do what you ask - power control, access to the BIOS via a
serial console etc.

They have a choice of either 'piggybacking' on the first on-board NIC,
or of using a separate mini-USB style cable and a separate port which
clips into the rear of the server.
We tend to use the 'piggyback' variety.