[Beowulf] Parallel Development Tools

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 11:19:33 PDT 2007

Yes indeed it's fascinating, and I could write all day about what I **did**
do (in 92 ish?) but which was already obseleted by porting to a platform
with a better ("vetted by randomness geeks") library.

But I think the idea ("hmmm") was that the bit of paper fluttering down from
the keypunch to the (sufficiently wide-mouthed) wastebasket might be a
better source of shuffling than anything programmatic. Like, a poor-man's
geiger-counter. (At the Savannah River plant, I think my dad could have
wired up an actual geiger counter...). So the macroscopic but small scale
aerodynamics would be the randomness generator, and I woulnd't have minded
at all the problem of mapping the distribution (of letter frequency in my
FORTRAN programs, say) to Uniform, programmatically, that's easily in my
scope.

But effectively reading from the wastebasket seemed like a stopper. Today I
could do it with a vacuum hose and OCR, but at the time it seemed like too
much trouble :-)

Peter