[Beowulf] best linux distribution

Nicolas Vigier nvigier at mandriva.com
Mon Oct 8 09:55:46 PDT 2007

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007, Seyed Abouzar Najafi Shoshtari wrote:

> Dear beowulf experts,
>
> we are planning to build a beowulf cluster
> with 8 nodes (8xCPUs, Intel 6600 Quadcore 8MB, 8GB RAM )and
> a Dell-Server as the master node (2xCPU Xeon Quad Core 1.6GHz, 4TB Hard, 18GB
> RAM).
>
> Which linux distribution would be ideal for our case?

Hi,

Any distribution which support your hardware and has packages for mpi
libraries and other tools you want to use will work.

But you might be interested in trying IGGI :
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/IGGI

It's a distribution based on Mandriva 2006, which includes tools to
ease the setup and deployement of a beowulf cluster.

The full documentation is available at this address :
http://iggi.mandriva.com/

regards,
Nicolas