[Beowulf] Really efficient MPIs??

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at aplpi.com
Wed Nov 28 05:51:03 PST 2007

Charlie Peck wrote:
> Unless you are using a gigabit ethernet, Open-MPI is noticeably less
> efficient that LAM-MPI over that fabric.
> I suspect at some point in the future gige will catch-up but for now my
> (limited) understanding is that the Open-MPI folks are focusing their
> time on higher bandwidth/lower latency fabrics than gige.

This wasn't our experience in our application which runs over gige (see
my previous posting).

Stephen Mulcahy, Applepie Solutions Ltd., Innovation in Business Center,
GMIT, Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland.  +353.91.751262  http://www.aplpi.com
Registered in Ireland, no. 289353 (5 Woodlands Avenue, Renmore, Galway)