[Beowulf] Really efficient MPIs??

Michael H. Frese Michael.Frese at NumerEx.com
Wed Nov 28 05:49:46 PST 2007

At 10:31 PM 11/27/2007, you wrote:
>Because today the clusters with multicore nodes are quite common and
>the cores within a node share memory.
>Which Implementations of MPI (no matter commercial or free), make
>automatic and efficient use of shared memory for message passing
>within a node. (means which MPI librarries auomatically communicate
>over shared memory instead of interconnect on the same node).

The latest MPICH2 from Argonne (may be version 1.06) complied for the
ch3:nemesis shared memory device has very low latency -- as low as
0.06microseconds -- and very high bandwidth.  It beats LAM in
Argonne's tests. Here are details:
ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/mpi/mpich2-doc-CHANGES.txt.  We are getting
higher latencies than that on various hardware, so obviously YMMV.