[Beowulf] Joe Blaylock's notes on running a MacOS cluster, Nov. 2007

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 08:48:46 PST 2007

Microport, with a team of 4 programmers, ported a licensed AT&T System
V to the i286 and sold it for about $100 starting in 1985, when SCO
"Xenix" was like $500. I was a customer. They went bankrupt later but
to some extent paved the way for unix on PCs on the cheap.
Wiki is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microport
I remember I had to buy a HD (40MB, 40 ms) for my IBM AT to install;
it came as a bunch of 5.25" floppies. It booted easily with 512K (the
PC and XT were 640 but the AT was base only 512) but "vi temp" hung
:-) so I had to get more RAM. When I booted DOS 3.2 I used RAM over
640K as a virtual disk (as one might do today with RAM over 2.5 GB on
XP?) but used all 1.5 MB naturally with the unix (making it clear to
me, btw, that the "640K RAM Barrier" was MS's fault, not Intel's).
A big difficulty would be customer support, I should think; I never
expected any (I still generally don't), but it would be much easier to
have no support for DOS, than to have no support for Unix, for Joe
Average Customer.
Peter