[Beowulf] microWulf

Charlie Peck charliep at cs.earlham.edu
Thu Nov 22 07:33:21 PST 2007

On Nov 18, 2007, at 9:13 PM, Donald Shillady wrote:

> 1. It appears that the microWulf system could be extended to 16 CPU
> using quad chips.  Would it be simpler to use just two of the
> faster Intel Core-2 Quad chips to achieve an 8-node system?  Maybe
> it is much cheaper to use the older technology in the AMD 64-2X chips.
>
> 2. Has anyone here used a microWulf for an actual application
> beyond just testing LINPAK?

I work with a group of people that produce a similar small, portable
cluster (http://LittleFe.net).  We mostly use our units for
education, outreach, and training work.  Periodically it's handy to
have one to run benchmarks on (as Joel described) but at ~6-20 GFLOPs
they aren't rug burners.

On the other hand, with proper power engineering you can have a very
efficient system that will work at home easily.  A 6 GFLOP LittleFe
draws about 80 Watts.

charlie