[Beowulf] Software RAID?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 22 03:53:37 PST 2007

Wait a minute do i read that correctly,

"you have to rescan the scsi bus".

In short, first you spend really a lot of money to get SCSI
drives in order to then get confronted with all the software raid issues.

If you can afford SCSI drives, why not buy a great raidcard as well?

IMHO the interesting issue with raid is how to get a raid system where
you can hotswap and which supports both raid10 as well as different
types of raid5 (with one extra spare).

Speaking of that, how to save power with raid when it's not currently
streaming. is there hardware cards that let the drives idle when the raid
array hardly gets used for i/o?

I'm about to investigate how to cheap build a huge raid array (with
hotswap) for private purposes (chess EGTB generation and i guess i'll
require a TB or 4+ for that and raid10 as the write load is also very
high during generation).

What solutions are there?

Vincent