[Beowulf] Question about list

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Nov 21 11:40:33 PST 2007

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

> A quick question about the list. Can I post job openings to the list or
> is that in bad taste?

People have certainly done so in the past.  I think of it this way.  If
you contribute a lot of signal to the list, absolutely.  That means that
if you personally want to run a low-traffic spam engine for the Russians
I'd tolerate it.  If you're just a list reader, within reason -- a
single post for a cluster-related job seems reasonable.  If you're
somebody who joins the list just to head-hunt, die die die.

Similar considerations apply to list members who run businesses.  If
they contribute a lot to actual discussion, referencing their business
in reasonable ways seems entirely fair as long as it doesn't degenerate
into flame wars, spam, or discussion in poor taste.  We saw some of that
this week with Myrinet on the one hand questioned, and then defended, by
both users and Patrick.  No problem.

I like to think that the list supports cluster computing in the broadest
sense, which includes helping cluster computing people find work in
either direction or discussing corporate products with corporate
list-contributers without actually dunning the list.

Does anybody disagree?  (Not that my opinion actually matters -- it is
really up to Don Becker...:-)

    rgb