[Beowulf] Teaching Scientific Computation (looking for the perfect text)

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Wed Nov 21 08:19:19 PST 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 at 10:36am, Robert G. Brown wrote

> I'm just describing what Duke had, which I'm pretty familiar with
> because we faced these actual costs a couple of years ago and had to go
> renegotiate our whole deal with them.  It is a bit better now -- I think
> Duke just dickered out an unlimited use license, period, so anybody on
> campus can install it on their machine(s), but for a while there that
> was true only for specific subpopulations (and I shudder to think what
> the current arrangement is likely costing the University).

Actually, the official line I got is "$150 for each new installation/user
of Matlab" for faculty/staff only, and that includes all toolboxes Duke
bought (I'm not sure how big a subset that is) except symbolic math.

And, joy of joys, the new license file no longer requires running FlexLM
on every damn machine you want to run Matlab on.

Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin