[Beowulf] impressions of Super Micro IPMI management cards?

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Fri Nov 9 23:17:17 PST 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience/impressions of the "Supermicro
> Intelligent Management" stuff?

We're using them on our new Opteron cluster that will start to blossom
into a Barcelona cluster soon.

The biggest problem we've found is what appears to be a bug in the
CentOS 5 kernel where the forcedeth driver does something bad to the
IPMI module and locks you out until you next power cycle the system.

But as soon as we went to the mainline kernel (started at 2.6.22.3,
currently at 2.6.23.1) those problems went away.

cheers,
Chris