[Beowulf] The Walmart Compute Node?

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Fri Nov 9 17:33:53 PST 2007

I was going to hold this back for after Thanksgiving, but I've been working
on a small project all year to track the costs of AMD and Intel systems.
I chose 3 AMD CPU models (4200+, 5000+, and 6000+) and 3 Intel
models (Cores 2: 2.33 GHz, 2.66 GHz and Quad-core 2.4 GHz). I then
chose a couple of memory configurations to see the effects of memory
fluctuations. The system configurations have everything - cases, DVD,
GigE switches (I used 2 GigE switches - one for computation and one
for storage), hard drives, cables, motherboards, etc. Only the head node
has hard drives and the compute nodes are all diskless.

The spreadsheet computes the total cost (including shipping) from the
component costs for systems from 1-8 nodes and a 16 node system
(I switched from 8-port GigE switches to 16-port GigE switches for
this last configuration).

I've been tracking the costs for these systems since about Feb. I've also
added the theoretical system performance (GFLOPS) so I can compute
$/GFLOPS as well as $/node, and $/core. I wish I had power estimates
though.

I've also been finding the $2,500 systems from this overall group. It's
fun to look at how many nodes you can get for $2,500 as the year
went along. I'm hoping to publish an article on ClusterMonkey later
this year with the data and the plots. It's actually quite interesting.
Think of it as finding the optimal system for $2,500.

The most interesting thing is that the best $/GFLOPS is the Intel
quad-core Q6600. But that shouldn't be too surprising since the
Intel chips have 4 ops/clock and the AMD's only have 2. On a
$/GFLOPS basis, the AMD's are about twice the cost of the cheapest
Intel system. But you generally get more nodes with AMD than
with Intel.

Doug thinks I'm nuts, but then again, I have to have a hobby :)
It's going to become even more interesting when the AMD quad-core
hits the desktop and when Penryn pops up.

Jeff