[Beowulf] The Walmart Compute Node?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Nov 8 12:12:00 PST 2007

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Peter St. John wrote:

> Vincent,
> That's tough for me to answer, presumably the 1.5 is cheaper per hertz
> in power than a 3 GHz, but because of the other issues it may not be
> cheaper in GFLOPS per power. No hablo EE.

As I said in my longer reply, total system power costs per IP or FLOP
are probably going to be much higher for the smaller system.  Desktop systems
typically draw 80-120 watts per CPU almost independent of clock speed,
varying according to load.  I haven't measured the AMD-64 and don't know
what CPU is involved in the WalMart box, but I'm guestimating 100W each,
with the AMD as noted 3-4x faster, so there IS a considerable cost
differential in the power per useable instruction.  Unless, of course,
I'm wrong.  Kill-a-watt time.  A measurement is worth a thousand
estimates.

    rgb