[Beowulf] Virtualisation and high performance interconnects.

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Nov 1 11:50:43 PDT 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 10:02:58AM -0400, Patrick Geoffray wrote:

> Virtualization has virtually (pun intended) no effect on OS-bypass
> (user-level talking directly to the virtualized hardware) operations.

If implemented that way. I would bet that not all OS-bypass hardware
with virtual drivers is implemented that way. For interfaces like
Myrinet and InfiniPath InfiniBand, it's easy to do the right
thing. For the Mellanox IB chip, it's hard, and lots of actions
require coordination.

You're just using rose-colored glases because of where you work ;-)

-- greg