[Beowulf] SSH without login in nodes

Angel de Vicente angelv at iac.es
Tue May 8 06:25:36 PDT 2007

Hi,

If it is of any help, we use a similar setting to the one given below by Kilian,
where our access file in the compute nodes only has root and myself. When a user
submits something to the queuing system (Torque+Maui), the access.conf of the
given nodes is modified with a prologue script, so that access is given to them
in the allocated nodes, and when the job finishes their name is taken from
access.conf in an epilogue script.

Nothing fancy, but it works pretty well (you could easily figure how to abuse
it, but people usually behave nicely, and this was needed mostly to prevent
accidentally submitting jobs to other nodes, not to tackle abuse). At the same
time, we have a script that runs once per day to check whether there are any
jobs from users not allowed (according to the queueing system) to do so, and if
found they are just mercilessly killed (on very rare occasions zombies are
hanging around).

To the original poster, if you want details about this setting, I can provide
them, with a special bonus: in Spanish :-)

Cheers,
Ángel de Vicente