[Beowulf] Are You Ready for "Intel Cluster Ready"

Lombard, David N dnlombar at ichips.intel.com
Wed Jun 27 14:32:41 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 02:50:43PM -0400, Brian Dobbins wrote:
> Hi Doug and everyone else,

>  The point is, memory and disk are cheap, and even with a ramdisk,
>  an extra 1MB (for Tcl) is hardly anything to sweat in most cases.
> Python?  Besides MPICH and its derivatives, some OS utilities (yum,
> for example) use it.   Also, I didn't see it in there, but does the
> spec say they have to be locally installed, or can these packages
> be mounted via NFS?

The spec doesn't care.  They need to be "accessible" if I correctly
recall.

>  I've only glanced very quickly at the document itself (anyone else
>  see the "Intel Confidential" markings on every page?), but it might

Sigh, proofreading is a thankless and error-prone process.

> just be that the Java, X11, etc. packages that they look for are
> required to run the full suite of Intel cluster tools.

Not all are required for Intel tools, but other already registered
applications have required these in toto.  Disk and memory should not
be the reason that applications fail in suprising ways.

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.