[Beowulf] Re: question for licensed software users

Andrew Robbie andrew.robbie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 07:50:09 PDT 2007

On 26/06/2007, at 2:57 AM, Daniel Pfenniger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I encountered also a NIC problem with Maple flexlm.  Flexlm checks
> the existence of the original eth0 NIC present at Maple install time.
> This interface was later bad, so a second one was added and
> used instead of eth0.  But then Maple was then prevented to start by
> flexlm.  After some search it was found that after each reboot one has
> to initialize eth0 once (ifconfig eth0 ... up), even if disabled later
> in order to satisfy flexlm.

It is possible under linux (and sometimes windows depending on the
driver) to tell a card to use a different MAC address. If you are
throwing out a bad NIC (ie two nodes with the same MAC will never
appear on the network) this is a possible solution. It has to be done
at every reboot, but that is easily accomplished by creating a
startup script (or using rc.local). man ifconfig.

> No need to say that the lost time finding the cause of flexlm
> disfunction
> was yet another argument to hate licensed software.

Talk to your vendor. The more people who complain the better.

Andrew