[Beowulf] question for licensed software users

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Jun 22 04:57:39 PDT 2007

Toon Knapen wrote:
> What kind of problems: developing using FlexLm or deploying an app which
> needs to talk to a flexlm-server ?

flexlm server suddenly and inexplicably switching its lmhostid.  After a
reboot.  Renders all licenses unusable.

This happened recently at two customers sites.  One was a windows
license server, one was a linux license server.  Restarting the boxes
didn't help.  Restarting the daemon didn't help.  Looking at the license
files didn't indicate an expiration.  The logs didn't indicate this
either.  It just appeared (in the logs) that the thing stopped believing
it was server 1 (the lmhostid is a mac address BTW), and suddenly
started believing it was a server 2 (well, it took the other mac address
as its lmhostid).

Very annoying.  Have seen this on multiple boxes over the past few
years, ones we haven't touched as well as ones we try to "fix" (e.g.
alter the setup so that the flexlm daemon will in fact run correctly).

This impacts multiple vendor products BTW.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com