[Beowulf] Diskless booting - NIC BIOS

Ellis Wilson xclski at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 11:12:02 PDT 2007

Hi all.

  For about a year now I've been interested in cluster computing following my reading of rgb's lengthier online text (much thanks).  After short email to him some time ago, he directed me to this list which I have been enjoying for about two months now.

  My question arises at a level which may (or may not) frustrate some of the professionals on this list, but as it is, I am in college and have very small means.  My apologies in advance :).

  I have accumulated some computers from friends and the like and am interested in mounting them in a rack I've designed, however, some completely lack onboard ethernet ports (showing their age).  This fact completely voids the possibility of them having a network boot capable bios, and forces me to research NICs which enable this function.  Shopping around at my favorite online store I am having a bit of difficulty pinpointing NICs which would do this.  Is there a key term I am overlooking or a simpler solution to this issue (no, I really can't just go and buy 8 new motherboards, though I'd love to)?

  Regards,

  Ellis Wilson