[Beowulf] Mobo battery life in constantly on systems?

Bruce Allen ballen at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Mon Jul 30 00:53:53 PDT 2007

Hi David,

A couple of years ago we had a lot of CMOS battery deaths on systems that
were about 3 years old (and virtually always powered on).  These were
Intel consumer-grade motherboards.

In the past year, a large number of Supermicro Opteron motherboards had
their batteries dying within a few months of arrival.  This was probably a
batch of bad batteries, or the batteries were overheated (cooked!) during
transport or storage of the motherboards.

The speed of chemical reactions is an exponential function of temperature.
So even a short period of overheating during transport or storage can
cause the chemical reactions within the battery to run rapidly towards
completion.  At home, we keep our spare batteries in the refrigerator to
counter this.

At some point we simply did a wholesale replacement of the motherboard
batteries with fresh new ones.

The good news is that you can buy boxes of 100 name-brand CMOS batteries
at very low cost (less than $1 per battery).  When you get a box, test one
battery by discharging it across a resistor over a period of a week and
measuring the number of milliamp-hours that it delivers.  If not within
specs, return the batteries to the vendor saying that they are substandard
and probably have not been properly stored.

Cheers,
 	Bruce