[Beowulf] Mobo battery life in constantly on systems?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sat Jul 28 07:10:27 PDT 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, David Mathog wrote:

> The question: what is the expected motherboard battery lifetime in
> systems that are continuously on?

To my rough experience (from a small and anecdotal sample), between 5
and 10 years it is not uncommon for batteries to start to give, even in
server class systems, with an increasing probability of failure starting
(from pretty much 0) around year 6.  So it might have been "marginally
unusual" to see it by year 5, but it will be "not uncommon" in another
two years and "common to universal" a year or two later.

And yeah, it is a real PITA if you have anything non-default in your
BIOS settings.  Not so much a problem for clock settings, but if you
have to set up peripherals or memory (in older motherboards) every time
you boot...

     rgb