[Beowulf] purse strings

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Wed Jul 25 08:16:03 PDT 2007

> 1) The people (or person) that will evaluate the technical material, and
>   recommend a decision
> 2) The person (or people) that will make the *final* decision
> 3) The person that will sign the check.
>
> Whom you address, how, and with what material is well beyond the scope of
> this, or any, email list.
>
>> Do you think this differs from academia to the commercial sector?
>
> Yes

I'm not so sure the process really differs between academia and the
commerial sector.  I work in both regularly and in my experience they are
quite similar.

Academia:

1) Technical staff evaluate specs and options
2) The PI make the final decision on what to purchase and where
3) The fundor signs the check (e.g. NSF, IIH, Foundations)

Commercial:

1) Technical staff evaluate specs and options
2) The project/group head makes the final decision
3) Senior management and/or the finance department approves the capital
expenditure and signs the check

I get asked if academic instituions and commerical outfits are different.  I
usually answer in that they are the same in that each one is different.

-geoff

-geoff