[Beowulf] MPI2007 out - strange pop2 results?

Gilad Shainer Shainer at mellanox.com
Fri Jul 20 10:43:10 PDT 2007

Dear Kevin,

You continue to set world records in providing misleading information.
You had previously compared Mellanox based products on dual single-core
machines to the "InfiniPath" adapter on dual dual-core machines and
claim that with InfiniPath there are more Gflops.... This latest release
follow the same lines...

Unlike QLogic InfiniPath adapters, Mellanox provide different InfiniBand
HCA silicon and adapters. There are 4 different silicon chips, each with
different size, different power, different price and different
performance. There is the PCI-X device (InfiniHost), the single-port
device that was deigned for best price/performance (InfiniHost III Lx),
the dual-port device that was designed for best performance (InfiniHost
III Ex) and the new ConnectX device that was designed to extend the
performance capabilities of the dual port device. Each device provide
different price and performance points (did I said different?).

The SPEC results that you are using for Mellanox, are of the single port
device. And even that device (that its list price is probably half of
your InfiniPath) had better results with  8 server nodes than yours....
Your comparison of InfiniPath to the Mellanox single-port device should
have been on price/performance and not on performance. Now, if you want
to really compare performance to performance, why don't you use the dual
port device, or even better, ConnectX? Well... I will do it for you.
Every time I had compared my performance adapters to yours, your
adapters did not even come close...

Gilad.