[Beowulf] Sidebar: Vista Rant

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Wed Jul 18 17:57:13 PDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Jim Lux wrote:

> MS may be making tons o'bucks, but compared to the movie studios, the music
> industry, and cable tv, etc, it's still small.

Which is why MS effectively kowtowed to the "premium" content providers over
this, they believed they couldn't risk being locked out of that market, even
if it meant releasing an OS that is even more broken than the standard
offerings out of Redmond.

Now, with people like EMI backing away from DRM because of the consumer
backlash (and the fact they can charge a premium for non-DRM tracks which
cost less to make with no DRM royalty [1]) I bet there's a few people
breaking out in cold sweats in MS..

cheers,
Chris

[1] - http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20070428