[Beowulf] Re: Sidebar: Vista Rant

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 18 16:45:53 PDT 2007

At 03:58 PM 7/18/2007, David Mathog wrote:
>Jim Lux wrote:
>
> > Here's the breakdown... hours per person per year
>

>Microsoft has provided that these new categories will appear in
>the 2007 list:

Are these entertainment?  (Perhaps for an observer?)

>Unpacking Vista PC                     1
>Pounding helplessly on PC             20
>Telephone support (includes hold time) 5
>Futilely Googling                      2
>Banging head on wall                   1
>Repacking Vista PC                     1
>Driving Vista PC back to store         1
>Return line at store                   1

you *are* an optimist with the last one.

>Celebrating the end of the pain (@bar) 3
>Hangover                               8

I will comment, my wife having recently  (a couple months ago) bought
a HP laptop with Vista, that it worked just fine out of the box, and
plays DVDs just fine, and runs Office just fine.  Sure, it might be a
lot of CPU horsepower for what are essentially trivial tasks, but one
buys such things for the service they provide, today, with no
comparisons for what might have been or could be or was in previous
versions.  You fork out the $1000 bucks or so, you get a box that
plays videos and runs office.  Same as when I bought laptops 3 or 4
years ago with XP.  Got a box that plays videos and runs office for
about $800.  The new one is a bit lighter weight, has a nicer screen,
and the batteries last longer on a charge.  It also has a remote
control so you can pause/fast foward/rewind the movie.

So, viewed from the standpoint of "what do I get for a given quanta
of cash" you get a slightly better experience today than 3 years
ago.  Sure, it's a lot less than it could be, given the raw hardware
capability.  It's like buying a toaster or coffee maker.. think in
terms of the consumer appliance model.

You're not buying a computer that happens to play videos when you buy
a PC with Vista. You're buying a media presentation device that
happens to also work moderately ok as a computer.  In other words, my
wife's new laptop is a heck of a TV/DVD/CD player, and an ok computer.