[Beowulf] Sidebar: Vista Rant

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Jul 18 07:55:54 PDT 2007

andrew holway wrote:

> Linux still falls short in the desktop market. As a novice home user

I disagree with this statement.  I have been using Linux on a laptop for
the last 7 years, and it works just fine in this paradigm.

[...]

> If the apple desktop was ported to linux i think Microsoft would be

Allow me to take a contrarian view.  I don't see OSX desktop as being
particularly good.  I found, when I tried to use it, that it felt as
restrictive as some other UI.  It has lots of eye candy, and yes, this
appeals to some folks.  Hey, I like Beryl, but it drives up power
consumption.  So I disable it.

> dead in the water. Gnome is crap and kde is buggy.

Gnome is pretty good, and KDE is reasonable.  The latter is a memory
hog.  The former has some parts that are best left out.  All in all I
find modern Gnome quite good.  Much better than XP.

--

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com