[Beowulf] Sidebar: Vista Rant

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jul 17 15:22:40 PDT 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Ariel Sabiguero Yawelak wrote:

>   4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the
>   software installed on the
>   licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware
>   system.

I thought you had to just go one notch up from home to the business
version to get virtualization licensing.  But yes, you remind me that if
I do choose to boot Vista (from its hard disk) under VMware, I will be
breaking the law.

Another really excellent reason to go with XP.  Although MS is doubtless
terrified of virtualization on general principles.  It should be.  Like
I said, Windows on a memory stick, totally portable, totally frozen,
totally anonymous.  You can even run it on a private (in-system) network
and enable NAT or network contact only through a filtered virtual
firewall.  Invisible and undetectable.

But it's all fine with me.  The more expensive Windows gets, the greater
the incentive not to use it, the greater the cost advantage to running
linux instead.

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu