[Beowulf] Sidebar: Vista Rant

Ariel Sabiguero Yawelak asabigue at fing.edu.uy
Tue Jul 17 12:28:43 PDT 2007

Robert G. Brown escribió:

<<<snip>>>
> I'm perfectly happy with XP Pro in a VM, too.  I expect that very
> shortly, when I squeeze Vista into a VM on my OEM Vista Home Deluxe
> lenovo laptop (and fix the $!@* broadcom issue so I have wireless) I'll
> even be happy with Vista to the extent that I'm ever happy running
> something I really don't need and resent having to pay for EXCEPT to the
> extent that it overlaps money making activities like consulting or
> systems management.
Ooops!
Remember to buy the fully-featured Windows Vista Ultimate (r) if you
plan to go into virtual arenas.
The beloved EULA states for Home Basic and Home Premium that:

    4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the
    software installed on the
    licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware
    system.

In the case of Windows Vista Ultimate it states:

    6. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may use the software
    installed on the
    licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware
    system on the licensed device. If
    you do so, you may not play or access content or use applications
    protected by any Microsoft digital,
    information or enterprise rights management technology or other
    Microsoft rights management
    services or use BitLocker. We advise against playing or accessing
    content or using applications
    protected by other digital, information or enterprise rights
    management technology or other rights
    management services or using full volume disk drive encryption

http://download.microsoft.com/documents/useterms/Windows%20Vista_Ultimate_English_36d0fe99-75e4-4875-8153-889cf5105718.pdf

But you shall not play with DRM content....

It looks that MS guys don't want us to move into the virtualization
arena as much as we would like to. Sorry Robert, but you have to keep
the dual boot on the new Lenovo ;-) That license is not valid for the
VMware

Regards

Ariel