[Beowulf] Sidebar: Vista Rant

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Jul 17 07:14:46 PDT 2007

On 17 Jul 2007, at 2:22 pm, Gerry Creager wrote:

> Nope, NT4 was the end of the evolutionary peak.  It's been downhill
> from there.

Actually, I vote earlier than that.  NT 3.51 was a lot more stable.
Not having graphics drivers in the kernel being the main reason.  I
used to run NT 3.51 quite happily on my 486 desktop that I had at the
time.  It was actually faster than Windows 95 on the same machine, at
least for my purposes (writing my PhD thesis and a bit of Windows
programming).  At one point, about 1996, I had five operating systems
on that machine - DOS, Windows 95, OS/2, Windows NT and Linux.  Of
those, I spent most of my time in the last three.  DOS and Windows 95
were just too painful.  I used OS/2 for 16-bit Windows development,
Windows NT for 32-bit Windows development and my PhD work, and Linux
for everything else.

These days I just use a Mac for all my desktop/laptop stuff, and
Linux for everything else.  :-)

Tim