[Beowulf] openMosix ending

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Mon Jul 16 11:51:40 PDT 2007

> Yeah, but it has nearly always had a few tragic flaws.  One was that it
was always basically a hack of a specific kernel version and image,
meaning that if you used it you were outside of a working kernel update
stream.  The second was that it was basically a hack of a specific
kernel version and image at all, where one really would prefer a tool
that did the same thing outside of kernel space (like Condor, for
example).  It survived those flaws, of course -- but it cannot survive
the advent of virtualization, which will provide new pathways for this
sort of thing to be done with far greater ease and stability.

The lack of kernel supported checkpointing capabilities in the linux
kernel is
something that  has baffled me or a while.  I wonder if  it was ever
submitted
and then rejected?  It seems a natural fit for many organizations.  Are there
hardware limitations in the x86 world?

Modern x86 virtualization is great for the most part, but moving around
entire VM images rather than a group of threads seems a little... kludgy.
Mind you, I'm a big proponent of virtualization due the positives it
provides.

-geoff