[Beowulf] power usage, Intel 5160 vs. AMD 2216

Li, Bo libo at buaa.edu.cn
Sat Jul 14 01:11:46 PDT 2007

Try cpufreqd to manage power and be sure to set ondemand mode for balance.
AMD box may consume less while the Intel north bridge can eat about 11-25W per chip.
Memory will eat more than we expected when the load is light. I can't find some daemon to mange power consumed by RAM.
Now, there are some transaction based approaches to run a cluster on demand, but I am afraid before fast wake up is ready, nothing can be practical.
Regards,
Li, Bo