[Beowulf] Re: power usage, Intel 5160 vs. AMD 2216

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Sun Jul 15 15:46:13 PDT 2007

Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote

> So, the thing that logs power usage over time seems to be the "Watts
> Up Pro", which says that it plugs into USB and has a Windoze program that
> graphs power usage. Does anyone have one, and can you access the data
> sans Windoze program? Are there any other cheap logging power meters?

The Watts Up Pro is only $130 at Amazon right now - if your
time is worth anything just buy one.

If this is a one time deal and you  have a USB Camera you
set it to snap pictures of the display at fixed intervals, and
then scan through those later.

Or, if you already own a USB data logger and a Kill-a-watt, try
this at your own risk. Most likely you'll end up filing the effort
under "I wish I'd just spent the money on the data logging version"!

On opening up a Kill-a-watt you'll find that one side has all the power
goodies and a tiny amount of logic, and the other side contains the
display, the buttons, and what looks like the logic to control the
display.  The two sides are connected by a 6 wire cable, where
all of the wires are the same diameter, with no shielding and no
twisted pairs.  It seems likely that if one attached a voltmeter
to those 6 wires one would find a ground, 5V (or 12V) dc, and
4 measurement lines, probably representing Line Voltage, Current, Line
Frequency, and Power.  If you're lucky the measurement values are
encoded as a DC voltage. That would be easy to test, and if true,
you could solder leads onto those 6 lines and bring them outside
the case to attach to the input leads of your existing USB data
logging device.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu