[Beowulf] power usage, Intel 5160 vs. AMD 2216

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sat Jul 14 07:23:32 PDT 2007

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, Chris Samuel wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, Jim Lux wrote:
>
> Hi Jim,
>
>> The Kill-A-Watt is available in a 220V 50Hz version.
>
> I didn't realise that, thanks!
>
>> Might have to cobble a plug/receptacle that works depending on your local
>> style.. the 220V ones I've seen have the round plugs and I think you have
>> the slanted blades in Australia.
>
> Hmm, that could be a bit more of a challenge.. ;-)

Again, online shops sell country converter kits -- admittedly most often
for US to whatever, but I've seen all-to-all kits (or nearly so).
Although a 220V version may come with all the converters needed -- one
would think that it would, as otherwise you're limiting your market from
the get-go.

If you can't find converters, you can always work directly with wires
and four receptacles (two male, two female) and make your own.  PITA, I
agree, but I've done similar things myself on fairly numerous occasions
to get around wiring mismatches or to make it easy to insert things into
a circuit that otherwise couldn't be inserted.

Do not attempt this, though, without fully understanding How Electricity
Works and what is safe and what is not.  120 VAC can be deadly.  220 VAC
is even deadlier.  Heck, 9V batteries can be deadly if you really work
at it.  And aside from deadly (if sufficient current passes across your
heart) it's pretty easy to create spectacular fuse-blowing arcing
spatters of metal and/or associated burns and fires.

I personally don't mind doing my own wiring as electricity tends to stay
where it belongs because air is a decent insulator at household
voltages.  It's plumbing I can't stand, because air (pressure) is
basically ground, and the slightest gap in the insulation (pipes)
produces disaster.  But don't do it if you aren't completely comfortable
with it (and look for the converter plugs in any event first, as they
are by far the safest/easiest solution and I'll bet you can google them
up quite specifically).

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu