[Beowulf] power usage, Intel 5160 vs. AMD 2216

Jon Bernard jonbernard at fmailbox.com
Tue Jul 10 15:22:28 PDT 2007

Two vendors recently bid on a cluster we're buying, and we've got
questions about their power estimates that I though I'd also put to the
list while we wait for the vendors to respond.

Vendor A estimates that at peak load a compute node with two AMD 2216s,
4 GB of 667 DDR2 RAM, a hard drive, and an IB board will draw 265 watts.
Vendor B estimates that such a node will draw 450 watts.

Vendor B also estimates that a similar machine with two Intel 5160s will
draw 550 watts at peak load.

Anybody have any actual measurements?

Jon