[Beowulf] static pvm library won't link anymore

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jul 5 16:40:24 PDT 2007

> /usr/common/pvm3/lib/LINUX/libpvm3.a(lpvmpack.o): In function `pvm_vpackf':
> lpvmpack.c:(.text+0x36d4): undefined reference to `__ctype_b'

I'm guessing that's an array that maps a byte/char to ctype flags.
this is an internal bit of implementation detail to libc and if you
run into a problem like this, it implies that there's some disparity
between the libc headers and libc library (often implicitly added
by cc when linking.)

or, in this case, the former version assumed a different libc
than you currently have installed...

> In the spirit of leaving well enough alone the hmm applications have not
> been modified in 3 years, and libpvm3.a has not been
> touched since Oct 2002.  Apparently that library must now be rebuilt.

you can probably find compat libc's that define the symbol.

> The source was PVM 3.4.4, it seems in the last 5 years they've released

from source will presumably use your current libc's headers
and all will be well...

> If so, is there anything else that needs to be done beyond
> rebuilding PVM (applications and library)?

probably solvable by lib version hackery as well...