[Beowulf] interconnects (intel's optical cx4)

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Sun Jul 1 15:14:43 PDT 2007

this surprised me:
http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/optical/cables/index.htm

seems like a potentially nice solution to me - any guesses about price?

I guess my hope is that these might become somewhat commoditized, and
thus provide a 10+ Gb media that avoids a pair of $500 XFP's, and yet
gives thinner/lighter/longer cables than CX4.  (and from what I read,
chances are poor for 10GbaseT to run cool and low-latency enough.)

I especially like the fact that they are agnostic of the difference between
10GE and IB.  but they do draw 1.1-1.2W from the connector - is this
commonly supported?

thanks, mark hahn.