[Beowulf] Resources for starting a Beowulf Cluster (NFS Setup?)

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Sun Jul 1 12:51:26 PDT 2007

> don't think anyone would tell you differently.  On the
> other hand you don't normally place a cluster on an
> unprotected network.

can NIS actually preserve shadow-ness of passwords?  I would
never run a cluster that exposed encrypted passwords.

> almost 100% of capacity. There are enough changes
> happening this morning that rsyncing, parallel copy,
> etc just becomes onerous so I am turning on NIS today
> for it.

for small clusters, I would definitely use nfs-root;
for larger ones, probably ldap.  having a cron job run
rsync frequently isn't a terrible solution, though,
especially if there's one canonical node (a login node)
where the only changes are made.