[Beowulf] massive parallel processing application required

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 31 21:45:09 PST 2007

At 04:17 PM 1/29/2007, Mitchell Wisidagamage wrote:
>Hi all,
>  As part of my dissertation, I'm looking for "raw data" which will
> be used for massive parallel processing using Beuwulf cluster (with
> the use of PVM or MPI). I tried looking for e-science raw data (and
> the computations required on it) such as bioinformatics, fluid
> dynamics, etc. but without any luck.

An interesting computationally intensive task would be constructing a
3-D model of a pot from multiple 2-d images of pot shards, especially
if there are missing or extra pieces.

This would be quite a boon for archaeologists, who currently do it by
hand, as a 3D jigsaw puzzle.

And, of course, it has almost no commercial value.. there are
commercial archaeologists, but they don't get paid to reassemble broken pots.

A similar application might be to take a 3D tomographic image of a
block of tar from the La Brea tarpits and extract all the bone
images, and attempt to match them up.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075